This pie 's filling is made with lime gelatin, a splash of bitters, lime juice, condensed milk, and fluffy egg whites folded in. Then it 's poured into a baked pie shell and chilled overnight.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime flavored gelatin mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon bitters
- 1 egg white
- 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
Dissolve lime gelatin in boiling water, add lime rind and juice. Slowly pour into egg yolk, stirring constantly. Add condensed milk and bitters. Chill until slightly thick.
Beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Fold into lime gelatin mixture. Add food coloring if desired.
Pour into baked pie shell. Chill until firm or overnight.