You can still enjoy this popular, cheesy Tex-Mex casserole while cutting back a little on fat, by using low fat sour cream and fat free cream of mushroom soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) package low-fat baked tortilla chips
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) can black olives
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place chicken breasts in a pot of boiling water. Cook until meat shreds easily with a fork, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from water, and cool slightly. Remove meat and skin from bones, and shred.
In a medium bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup and canned tomatoes and mix together.
Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. In dish begin layering: 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the soup mixture, then crumble tortilla chips on top. Repeat layers twice, ending with tortilla chips and a sprinkle of cheese on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
Top casserole with lettuce, chopped tomato, olives, a couple of dollops of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives. Serve.