A popular Tex-Mex casserole of chicken with creamy tomato sauce, tortillas, vegetables and Cheddar.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
- 3 cups cooked, diced chicken breast meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Combine the chicken soup, mushroom soup, broth and tomatoes with chiles. Set aside.
Lightly grease a shallow 3 quart casserole dish. Layer 1/2 the tortillas, 1/2 the chicken, 1/2 the onion, 1/2 the bell pepper and 1/2 the cheese in the casserole dish. Pour 1/2 of the soup mixture over the layers. Repeat the layers of tortillas, chicken, onion and bell pepper; pour the remaining soup mixture over the top, then top with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with chili powder and garlic salt and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.