Tasty crab cakes with a Korean flair - these are seasoned with fish sauce, fresh ginger, and cilantro.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat - drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 3 ounces chopped shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, made from crustless French bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, cilantro, fresh ginger, and fish sauce. Mix in crab, shrimp, and 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs on a plate or shallow bowl. Drop 1/4 of the crab mixture onto breadcrumbs, and turn to coat. Shape into a circle or oval. repeat with remaining crab mixture.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook cakes in oil for about 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.