This is a hearty Soup that is good for cold winter days. Lamb and vegetables are cooked in a beefy broth with chewy barley. You can add more vegetables if you like, this is very flexible. Serve by itself or with your favorite main dish.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups water
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup barley
Place the lamb and onion into a large soup pot over medium heat. Cook and stir until the lamb is browned and crumbled. Drain excess grease if any. Stir in the tomatoes, water, consomme, and tomato soup. Add the carrots, celery, and barley, and season with chili powder and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes.