The warm, sweet spices of garam masala are complemented by apple and onion in this exotic lamb dish. Jeweled rice adds a sweet, colorful touch. This recipe was developed for McCormick by Southern Living Cooking School.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Garam Masala, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat OR boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can canned peeled and diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- Jeweled Rice:
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup dried mixed fruit
Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala, salt, garlic powder and flour; toss with lamb cubes to coat.
Brown lamb in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes. Remove lamb and set aside.
Add onion and apple to skillet, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until apple is tender. Return lamb to skillet; stir in remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala, tomatoes, and coconut milk. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Arrange meat and sauce over Jeweled Rice.
To prepare Jeweled Rice: Saute onion in hot oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, broth, and water; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; stir in fruit, cover and let stand 5 minutes.