For variety, substitute one pound of cooked Italian sausage for one box of the spinach. You can use your own favorite home cooked tomato sauce or use sauce from a jar in place of the sauce in this recipe.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and pat dry.
In a large skillet saute in butter the red bell pepper, mushrooms and onion until tender. In a bowl combine the sauteed vegetable mixture, cottage cheese, spinach, eggs, 4 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese and pepper; mix well.
In a large skillet, heat tomato sauce, marjoram, sugar and garlic powder for 5 minutes.
Spread 1/3 cup filling on each noodle. Roll up and place in greased 9x13 baking dish. Pour tomato sauce mixture over lasagna rolls. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes.