A hearty blend of ground beef and pork is sauteed with onions and simmered with mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, sugar and a medley of spices. Layered with noodles and cheeses, this earthy casserole is a crowd pleaser.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 pounds ground pork
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomato
- 1 1/3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 8 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 (16 ounce) packages cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 pounds shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 ounces shredded Colby cheese
In a large stock pot, cook the ground beef, ground pork, and chopped onions until browned. Drain grease well.
Using the same stock pot, stir in the chopped mushrooms, whole tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano flakes, garlic cloves, bay leaves, dried basil, parsley flakes, salt and pepper to taste, and sugar. Simmer over low heat for one hour.
In a large pot, cook lasagna noodles in boiling salted water until al dente. Rinse with cool water, and drain well.
In a separate bowl, combine cottage or ricotta cheese, eggs, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Mix grated Colby and mozzarella cheeses together in a medium bowl.
In each 13x9 inch casserole dish layer 1/2 cup meat sauce, then noodles, Parmesan-egg mixture, and grated Colby-mozzarella cheese. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degree C) oven for one hour and 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.