A very easy, no-boil recipe for cafeteria-style macaroni and cheese, which bakes up deliciously custardy on the inside and crusty on the outside. Mix the ingredients, pour it in the baking dish, pop it in the oven, and forget about it until the timer ring
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 pound uncooked macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 pound shredded American cheese
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a shallow three-quart baking dish, toss uncooked macaroni and melted butter together, to coat the macaroni and the inside of the dish. Add cheese, and stir lightly to distribute. In a medium bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, water, eggs, mustard powder, salt, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Pour into the baking dish with the macaroni.
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until the center is set. Remove from the oven, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.