Uncooked lasagna noodles add to the ease of preparation for this comforting casserole. A meat-filled tomato sauce dresses layers of sour cream, Parmesan, mozzarella and cottage cheeses. Baking cooks the noodles!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (12 ounce) package breakfast sausage
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup water
Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain excess fat. Reduce heat to low, stir in the jar of spaghetti sauce, and heat through. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream. Stir in dried parsley to taste.
Spoon 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place 1/2 of the uncooked noodles over the sauce, then 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Pour water around the outside edge of pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree F(175 degree C) oven for one hour. Uncover. Continue baking for an additional 20 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Remove from oven, and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving.