Chicken takes on a Mid-Eastern flavor from chickpeas (garbanzo beans), lemon and garlic with turmeric.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until golden.
Sprinkle turmeric in pan, and mix well. Put chicken on top, and brown on all sides.
Add about 2 cups water, chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer gently for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender and the liquid is reduced. Taste to adjust seasonings.