This is a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe for Lebkuchen.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/8 pound chopped candied citron
- 1/8 pound chopped almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large baking sheet (approximately 14x16 or 11x17 inches).
Sift the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cream of tartar together.
Mix the eggs and sugar thoroughly. Combine this with the flour mixture and stir in the citron and almonds.
Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut sheet of dough to fit on your baking sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Cut into squares or diamonds while still warm. Ice thinly with white or lemon frosting.