Lebkuchen is a traditional German holiday cookie. It is high in spicy flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 1/3 cups honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup candied mixed fruit
- 1 tablespoon light sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Spray bottom and sides of a 10 x15 inch glass pan with a non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C).
In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, heat the honey and 1/3 cup sugar in a microwave for 1 minute. Pour this mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to the honey mixture. Stir well.
Add and mix in by hand the candied fruit, oil, and spices.
Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups more flour. Knead dough to mix (dough will be stiff). Spread into pan. Bake for 20 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cut into squares. May be frosted with sugar glaze or eaten plain. Best if stored for 2 weeks.