Nutmeg and lot's of lemon are blended with honey in these moist muffins.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
In a small bowl, mix the honey, applesauce, yogurt, egg, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
In a medium bowl, mix the unbleached flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey mixture. Stir until no large lumps remain. Pour into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.