This is a complete meal with rice lentil and vegetables. This is my version of the South Indian dish 'Chithrannam' (lemon rice).
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds, and cook until they pop. Once the seeds have popped like popcorn, add the carrot and green beans. Sautee them for about 2 minutes, just to mingle the flavors.
Pour in the water, and add the rice and lentils. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice and lentils are tender. Stir in the lemon juice, and season with salt and chili powder. Let stand covered for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.