Egg yolks are beaten, milk and lemon juice stirred in, and the filling is poured into a graham cracker crust. The pie is frosted with meringue and slipped into the oven until golden.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
- 3 egg whites
- 4 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat egg yolks, and combine with milk; mix very well. While beating egg mixture, pour in lemon juice. Mix well. Pour lemon mixture into graham cracker crust.
In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, and continue beating egg whites until stiff peaks form. Spoon meringue on pie.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until golden brown. Cool.