This elegant dish is easy to prepare and perfect for any occasion.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package linguine
- 1 (2 ounce) can flat anchovies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans chopped clams, drained with juices reserved
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup white wine or canned vegetable broth
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions (green onions)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
Cook the linguine in a large pot of salted water until just tender to the bite. Drain well. Drain the anchovies, reserving 2 tablespoons of the packing oil and 3 or 4 of the anchovies.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the reserved anchovy oil with the olive oil and cook the garlic over medium heat, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the pepper flakes, reserved anchovies, reserved clam juice, undrained tomatoes, olives, and wine or broth. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes until lightly reduced. (Sauce can be made a couple of hours before cooking pasta. Refrigerate, but reheat before continuing.) Add clams, scallions, and basil. Cook, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through.
Toss sauce with hot pasta and serve.
If you really hate the idea of anchovies, simply omit them from the recipe. Increase the olive oil to 4 tablespoons. Try it with anchovies, however - they are the secret ingredient in some of the world's greatest dishes!