Tender slices of marinated London broil served in pita pockets with a cool yogurt sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 pounds London broil (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 6 pita bread rounds
- shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, diced
- Garnishes: fresh dill, lemon wedges, cucumber slices
PLACE beef between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
COMBINE garlic and next 3 ingredients in a shallow dish or large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; add beef. Cover or seal, and chill 8 hours. Remove beef from marinade, discarding marinade.
STIR together yogurt and next 3 ingredients. Set aside.
GRILL beef, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (300 degrees to 350 degrees) 7 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices.
PLACE beef evenly down center of warm pita rounds. Top with yogurt mixture, lettuce, and tomato; roll up. Garnish, if desired, and serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.