Italian sausage and ground beef are simmered with tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots and garlic and herbed with basil, oregano and thyme in this slowly cooked rich sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 4 ounces fresh basil, julienned
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 (28 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and ground beef until brown. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set aside.
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Cook onions in oil until translucent. Stir in green and red bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and carrots and cook until just tender. Stir in basil, spinach, thyme, oregano, garlic, sugar and salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 5 minutes. Pour in tomatoes, stir well, reduce heat, cover and simmer 3 hours, stirring occasionally.