A homemade Hawaiian sweet and sour sauce only sounds intimidating - but just mix together pineapple juice, ginger, ketchup, garlic, and soy sauce, pour over chicken, water chestnuts, and vegetables, and you have an Aloha dinner.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large skillet combine the pineapple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, ginger, garlic salt, cornstarch and soy sauce. Simmer all together for 5 minutes over low heat.
Place cooked chicken, bell pepper, onion, and water chestnuts in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour skillet mixture/sauce over the top. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.