Italian sausage and dill pickles are the secret ingredients in this minestrone. Top with grated Parmesan, and serve with a hearty bread and green salad for a complete meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup small seashell pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian tomato sauce
- 7 cups beef stock
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups sliced dill pickles
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain.
Combine tomatoes, sausages, tomato sauce, stock, onion, garlic, carrots, basil, and oregano in a large pot. Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
Add zucchini, mushrooms, green pepper, parsley, pickles and cooked pasta; simmer for 1 hour, adding water as necessary.