Some of the bests bites of summer come together in this colorful chicken and vegetable saute. Zucchini, squash, mushrooms and tomatoes are simmered with bits of sauteed chicken, then stirred into hot pasta and served with grated Parmesan.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.
Saute garlic and onions in olive oil till onions are soft. Over high heat, quickly saute cut up chicken. Sprinkle with paprika, and cook until chicken is nicely browned.
Transfer sauteed mixture to a Dutch oven, and add vegetables and tomatoes. Simmer till vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add pasta to Dutch oven, and stir into sauce. Serve with grated parmesan cheese if desired.