This is a great Chinese dish of ground pork, tofu, and green peas cooked in a spicy sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 ounces ground pork
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed and mashed
- 1/2 tablespoon chili paste with garlic
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 (14 ounce) package tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with equal parts water
In a small bowl, combine ground pork, sherry and 1 teaspoon cornstarch; set aside.
In a separate small bowl, combine black beans, chile paste, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger; set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. If pork is lean, add 1 tablespoon oil. Cook pork until evenly browned. Stir in black bean mixture, tofu, and peas. Pour in chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in dissolved cornstarch, and cook until thickened.
This dish is best served with steamed white rice.