A dash of smoke flavoring and sweetener are added to buttermilk, cottage cheese, egg white and processed cheese to make the sauce for this baked macaroni casserole. Spread cracker crumbs over the top for crunchy fun.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 packet artificial sweetener
- 1/4 cup reduced fat processed cheese food, cubed
- 1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
In a food processor, blend cottage cheese until smooth.
In large bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg white, sweetener, cheese food, buttermilk and liquid smoke until well mixed. Stir in pasta. Pour into prepared dish. Top with crushed crackers.
Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 30 minutes.