Finally, a show-stopping lemon meringue pie that is also easy to make. If you do not wish to grate lemon zest, use 1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract in its place.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (8- or 9-inch) crumb or baked pie shell
- 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice from concentrate
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, if desired
- 4 tablespoons sugar
In mixing bowl, combine EAGLE BRAND®, lemon juice, lemon rind or extract, and egg yolks; stir until mixture thickens. Pour into chilled crumb crust or cooled pastry shell.
Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until almost stiff enough to hold a peak. Add sugar gradually, beating until stiff and glossy but not dry. Pile lightly on pie filling.
Bake 325 degrees F. until meringue is lightly browned. Cool.