This Jambalaya pleases every one from picky kids to the even pickier dads, total time from start to finish is about 40 min, and a big plus ONLY ONE BIG POT TO CLEAN! This is very filling and is great heated up in a skillet the next day.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until soft. Add the chicken and continue cooking and stirring so that it does not stick. When the chicken is browned, add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, bell pepper and sausage.
Pour in the broth, and bring to a boil. Add the rice, and season with cayenne, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and broth has been absorbed.