Here's an amusing approach to sweet and sour sauce! Cook orange jelly beans with chicken broth, vinegar, honey, pepper flakes, garlic and fresh ginger root. Serve over sauteed chicken and top with almonds, green onion and cilantro.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 small orange jelly beans
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown chicken in oil for 2 to 3 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Cover and saute for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through and juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
In the same skillet, combine the broth, vinegar, honey, jelly beans, red pepper flakes, garlic and ginger root. Simmer over medium heat until liquid is reduced by half, then remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
Remove jelly beans from sauce; stir in almonds and green onion. Slice reserved chicken and place on a platter. Spoon sauce over the top and garnish with jelly beans and cilantro.