Mangos simmered with raisins, ginger, onion, garlic and lots of spices like cinnamon and cloves. Get those jars ready!
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 6 cups white sugar
- 6 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 5 small red hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger root, chopped
- 16 cups sliced, semi-ripe mangos
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
In a large saucepan combine vinegar, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, chile peppers and salt. Bring to a boil; boil for 1/2 hour.
Stir in onions, garlic, golden raisins, raisins and ginger and boil for another 1/2 hour.
Stir in mangos (and almonds if using), reduce heat to low and simmer for 1/2 hour. Pour mixture into sterilized jars, to 1/2 inch below lid level, and seal.