This is a zesty clam chowder with a tomato juice base, potatoes, green bell pepper, and chopped green onions. If you start with clams that already shucked, you can have this soup ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pint shucked clams
- 1 cup tomato and clam juice cocktail
- 2 potatoes, cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
Chop clams, reserving juice; set clams aside. Strain clam juice to remove bits of shell. Measure juice; add enough water to equal 1 1/2 cups liquid.
Combine clam juice mixture, clam-tomato juice cocktail, potatoes, bell peppers, scallions and black pepper in large saucepan; heat to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
Stir in the undrained tomatoes and the chopped clams and heat through.