A real easy and tasty Manhattan Clam Chowder.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Drain clams and reserve liquid. Add enough water to reserved liquid to make 3 cups of stock.
In a large saucepan pour clam juice and water mixture, undrained tomatoes, onions, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat. Mash the vegetables slightly to thicken the broth. Add clams to the saucepan and heat thoroughly. Serve hot.