This high cake won a blue ribbon for Best Chiffon Cake at an Iowa county fair.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
In a bowl, combine cocoa, boiling water, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons oil; whisk until smooth. Cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Whisk egg yolks, water and remaining oil; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Remove 2 cups of batter; stir into cocoa mixture. To the remaining batter, add orange peel. Alternately spoon the batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Swirl with a knife.
Bake at 325 degrees for 70-75 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Invert cake pan on a wire rack; cool.
For the glaze, combine sugar, butter and enough orange juice to reach desired consistency. Add orange peel; spoon over cake.
© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.