This is a great old Texas recipe. Everyone seems to like it, but it's obviously only for grown-ups.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 2 cups small pretzel twists
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup frozen margarita mix, thawed
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons brandy-based orange liqueur (Grand Marnier®)
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 4 drops green food coloring
Using a food processor or blender, process all of the vanilla wafers and pretzels to fine crumbs.
In a medium bowl, combine all of the crumbs with the confectioners' sugar. In another bowl, mix together the cream cheese, margarita mix, tequila and Grand Marnier, stir into the crumb mixture. Divide dough into two pieces, wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Divide the white sugar into two small bowls. Add the zest of 1 lime to each bowl. Stir the food coloring into one of the bowls. Unwrap dough and roll into walnut sized balls. Roll half of the balls in the green sugar, and the other half in the white sugar. Store in the refrigerator in the unlikely event that there are any left!