Here is a rich and hearty tomato sauce which does not need sugar or butter to cut the acidity from the tomato. Olive oil is optional for those watching their waistlines.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup shredded rell bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
In a saucepan saute onion and garlic over medium-low heat until they start to become clear. Combine in a pot, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, mushrooms, oregano, parsley, basil and olive oil. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for at least 1 hour, however, 3 hours of cooking develops better flavor and consistency.