These mushrooms will really grow on you, especially when served as a Christmas appetizer.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the wine, vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, bell pepper, red pepper flakes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil, cover and set aside to cool.
Once cooled, stir in the green onions, oregano, salt and pepper. Serve chilled or room temperature.