No need to turn the oven on with this recipe that a chef gave me years ago. It was a popular item at the restaurant, always requested and it is still my family and friends favorite today! I have added my own special touches to make it even better. This ca
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild picante sauce
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
Place chicken breasts in a saucepan with enough water just to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until meat shreds easily. Remove chicken from water, shred, and set aside. Reserve water.
Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until transparent. Add shredded chicken meat, and stir in the picante sauce, and 1/2 cup of the reserved chicken water. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thick. Remove the pan from heat, and sprinkle cheese over the chicken mixture.
Serve over flour tortillas and garnish with sliced olives and sour cream.