This is a chili with all of the fixings. Ground beef, stew meat, peppers, beans and tomatoes really round out this wholesome made from scratch chili.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound beef stew meat, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/2 pound dry kidney beans
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Saute onions and bell pepper until tender. Add garlic, ground beef and stew meat and cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, beef broth and kidney beans to the stockpot, cover and bring to a boil. Let the mixture boil for 4 to 5 minutes then stir in the chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt and brown sugar. Simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, or until the chili thickens and beans are tender.