A two layer chocolate cake spiked with coffee liqueur and covered with rich mocha frosting.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee, cold
- 3/4 cup coffee flavored liqueur
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans. Sift together the flour, baking soda and cocoa. Set aside.
Combine the coffee and coffee liqueur. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the coffee and coffee liqueur, mixing just until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add 1/4 cup sugar, then continue beating until whites form stiff peaks. Gently fold egg whites into the coffee mixture.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes in pans, then turn out on wire racks to cool completely before frosting.
For the coffee frosting: In a medium bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Mix in coffee liqueur and hot coffee. Beat frosting until it thickens to spreading consistency.