Meatballs simmered in pizza sauce and sweetened with apple jelly are served on hoagie rolls and topped with mozzarella cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 (14 ounce) cans pizza sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) jar apple jelly
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen meatballs
- 6 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a large saucepan, mix pizza sauce, apple jelly, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil over medium heat.
Place frozen meatballs into the sauce mixture. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until meatballs are done, stirring occasionally.
While the meatballs are cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place the split hoagie rolls on a large baking sheet.
Place several meatballs and desired amount of sauce in each roll. Layer with mozzarella cheese. Place in the preheated oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.