This stuffed pepper recipe is well worth the effort. Peppers are stuffed with rice, tofu, parsley, mushrooms, bread crumbs, and walnuts and baked in a bed of crushed tomatoes.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 4 tablespoons uncooked white rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 pound firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 6 green bell peppers
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and 2 cloves of garlic until onions are translucent. Add rice and saute 2 minutes. Stir in vegetable broth, cover and cook until rice is done, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine tofu, parsley, mushrooms, eggs, bread crumbs, walnuts, Worcestershire, soy sauce, paprika, and cooked rice.
Slice the tops off of the peppers; save tops. Core peppers and stuff with tofu mixture. Replace tops on peppers.
In a shallow baking dish combine tomatoes, wine, tomato paste and remaining garlic. Place peppers in dish and cover.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.