A spicy meat mixture for spooning onto buns and serving with coleslaw and fries.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 pound chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound cooked pork meat, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
Heat shortening in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute onion until brown; then add the sugar, salt, flour, dry mustard, chile powder, pepper, vinegar and water. Mix and cook together until mixture is thick.
Stir in chopped meat, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and ketchup. Heat through, then serve on buns.