Chickpeas and pasta give this soup a heartiness and depth that belie the fact that it's low in fat.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked ditalini (very short tubular macaroni)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add the water and next 6 ingredients (water through tomatoes). Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pasta, and cook 9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in chopped parsley.
Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.CALORIES 242 (17% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 0.6g, mono 2.2g, poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 11.4g; CARB 39.9g; FIBER 4.6g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 3.6mg; SODIUM 560mg; CALC 79mg