Orange juice, white wine, bay leaves, and fennel give this shrimp and cod soup its distinctive flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 ounces canned mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1 pound cod fillets, cubed
Place onion, green bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato sauce, mushrooms, olives, orange juice, wine, bay leaves, dried basil, fennel seeds, and pepper into a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on low 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until vegetables are crisp tender.
Stir in shrimp. Cover. Cook 15 to 30 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve.
Variation: If you prefer a heartier soup, add more fish. Add white fish or cod to slow cooker 45 minutes before serving.