This recipe makes a very flavorful chilled side salad filled with rice and vegetables, and dressed with oil and vinegar.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup drained canned French style green beans
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1 roasted red pepper, drained and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 dill pickle spear, diced
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in rice, and cook until lightly browned. Pour in the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all liquid has been absorbed.
In a large bowl, mix the green beans, olives, red pepper, green pepper, pickle, tomatoes, and garlic. Toss with the rice. Sprinkle with vinegar and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and toss to coat. Cover, and refrigerate 1 hour, or until completely cooled, before serving.