A Mediterranean diet has been shown to relieve arthritis pain. Serve over polenta, rice or pasta.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled, cut in 1- to 2-inch chunks
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley
In a large skillet, heat 1 Tb. oil. Saute onion and pepper until soft, about 10 minutes. Add 1 Tb. oil, garlic, mushrooms and eggplant. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is softened but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, chickpeas and rosemary. Simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley. Sprinkle feta cheese over stew if desired.