Serve these mussels as an appetizer with some crusty bread or as a meal over linguini. It is sure to please mussel lovers!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 5 pounds mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns in brine, crushed (optional)
In a large pot (or the kitchen sink basin), soak the mussels 10 minutes in enough lightly salted cold water to cover.
In a separate large pot, mix the onion, tomatoes, garlic, beer, wine, and peppercorns. Place the mussels in the pot, and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until mussels open. Discard unopened mussels.