Tired of plain old Chicken Soup? Try this spunky Mexican inspired masterpiece. Adding the avocado is a must! We also add a little grated cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lay chicken breasts onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, cool and shred or cut into strips.
While the chicken is cooking, heat oil in a stockpot and cook the onions and celery until soft. Stir in the water and chicken broth. Season with cumin, black pepper and remaining taco seasoning mix. Simmer for 30 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Add the tomatoes, cilantro and chicken, simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve hot topped with avocado, shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips.