Ground beef, rice, onion, green pepper and fresh corn are simmered in a tomato sauce and beef broth mixture, seasoned with chili powder and garlic powder and topped with Cheddar cheese. Serve with flour tortillas, sour cream, and salsa.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
In a medium stock pot, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Drain any fat. Add onion and green pepper. Cook until onion is tender.
Stir in the beef broth, corn, tomatoes with green chile peppers and tomato sauce. Add salsa, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cilantro. Mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil and stir in rice.
Cover and cook until rice is done, about 25 minutes.
Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the mixture and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.