People who have tasted this thick mix of beans, spices and chicken say: 'So good it'll make you perky and stupid!' I've placed in my workplace's annual Halloween chili cook-off for the last three years. Looks strange -- tastes great! Serve with shredded
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers
- 5 (14.5 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, place the vegetable oil and chicken. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until all pieces are evenly brown. Stir in the onions. Cook until translucent. Drain mixture and set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the chicken broth and green chile peppers to a boil. Stir in 3 cans great northern beans, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cilantro and crushed red pepper. Stir in the chicken and onion mixture, and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes or longer, adding additional beans from the remaining cans for a thicker consistency as desired.