Shying away from the typical tomato or wine based steamed mussel recipe? This one features tequila and lime and it as easy as 1..2..3 to prepare! Serve right away with some crusty Italian bread to soak up the juice.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lime, juiced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook red pepper and onion in oil, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Stir in tequila, water, lime juice, fresh pepper and jalapenos. Bring to a boil, and dump in the mussels. Sprinkle the cilantro over the mussels, and cover with a tight fitting lid. Allow to steam for 3 to 4 minutes, or until all mussels have opened (discard any that don't).