Ground beef and pork sauteed with garlic and onion is simmered with tomato and mushrooms, with a bit of sugar and a whole carrot added for sweetness. Layered with cooked pasta and grated cheese, this substantial casserole makes a hearty meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni, cooked
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Cook beef, pork, onion, and garlic in hot oil until onion is golden. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms, carrot, salt, pepper, and sugar, and simmer 15 minutes.
Remove the carrot and throw away--it is just there for sweetness.
Alternate layers of macaroni, cheese, and meat in greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle top with cheese.
Bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 45 minutes.